TotalEnergies is a major multi-energies player on the international scene, present in over one hundred and thirty countries and strong due to the commitment of more than one hundred thousand people, from a wide range of origins, professions, and know-how. Today, the corporation is a player that has to interact not only with the various representatives of the economic world but also with the local populations in the areas in which it is established as well as with the public authorities. As such, the corporation plays an active role in the public debate.
Aware of its responsibility in all the countries and territories in which it is present, TotalEnergies carries out its advocacy efforts in accordance with the values set out in its Code of Conduct, which clearly affirms its ethical commitment. By advocacy, the Company means all efforts conducted directly or indirectly with public authorities, and more generally with all stakeholders concerned by its activities, including through the professional associations it is member of, in order to present its challenges, explain its issues, share its expertise and promote its interests. The Company’s advocacy efforts are carried out in accordance with this directive, which cannot be waived under any circumstances.
Regarding the fight against climate change, TotalEnergies promotes the following principles that guide the effort and the strategy of the Company:
- TotalEnergies recognizes the link established by science between human activities, in particular the use of fossil fuels, and climate change.
- TotalEnergies recognizes the Paris Agreement as a major step forward in the fight against global warming and supports the initiatives of the implementing States to achieve the objectives of this agreement.
- TotalEnergies supports the implementation of carbon pricing.
- TotalEnergies supports policies, initiatives and technologies aimed at promoting the development of renewable energies and sustainable bioenergies (biofuels, biogas) as well as energies and technologies aimed at decarbonizing industrial processes and transport, such as hydrogen, carbon capture or the electric vehicle.
- TotalEnergies promotes the role of natural gas as “transition fuel”, in particular as a replacement for coal. TotalEnergies supports policies aimed at measuring and reducing methane emissions to move towards the ambition of Zero Methane emissions. TotalEnergies promotes a policy of reducing greenhouse gas emissions: avoid - reduce by using the "best available technologies" - offset residual emissions thus minimized.
- TotalEnergies supports the carbon offset mechanisms necessary to achieve carbon neutrality, through organized and certified markets ensuring the quality and sustainability of carbon credits.